Saturday, June 02, 2007

More wheels within wheels, PS3/PSP connectivity over the web


02062007184, originally uploaded by epredator.

Today, mainly because the Xbox360 is being repaired, I sparked up the PS3 and the PSP. The most recent updates on both these devices launched us into a world of interconnectedness.
Previously the remote play function allowed the humble PSP to act as the wireless user interface for the might of the PS3.
So, the PS3 did the rendering of things and sent screen updates over the local network to the PSP.
Now however, if both machines are signed onto the wide world interweb, anywhere, the PS3 will act as a server in remote play to the PSP. So you can 'securely' get at your content like photos and videos on the PS3 in your home with your remote PSP device.
Just to add to it, I took this picture using the N95, wirelessly pumped it to flickr. It is the PSP talking via the web to my PS3 rendering the excellent photo slideshow.
I then used the PSP to talk to the PS3 web browser and twittered the fact I was doing.
this.
So to be clear, or try to. My hand held PSP was on the external internet, talking into my house to my PS3 which was talking back out to the web and doing some interaction with the world.
The more connections and services that things can swap around responsibility with the easier it is to just do what you need to do when you need to do it.

No comments: