Saturday, January 19, 2008

Comedy highs and lows this week on radio 1

This week on radio 1 the Chris Moyles show, which I always listen too despite being over 30, hit a high and a low.
The low, and one they are still joking about, was poor old Chris Rock. Now Moyles is clearly a fan and seemed a bit embarrased that Chris Rock was clearly asleep. Chris Rock is funny on stage and probably does so cool interviews, but this one just plummetted and bombed.
For some reason I pay more attention to how people work crowds, audiences and guests now. If the thing is not working you have to change tack, change gear, try a few new things until you find something that clicks. Moyles did his best as did comedy Dave but it just plain died death. Thats the beauty of live radio though.
However at the end of the week the bristol accent of Justin Lee Collins really really worked. It was some of teh funniest radio I think I have heard but it was also spiced up by JLC doing his Tom Jones impression. He had worke don this on one of his shows. as Moyles pointed out all his shows tend to be "I dont know if I can pull this off but I will have a go".
They popped a bit of the performance on Youtube. It was really really good. I will make sure I grab teh podcast as I cant help but think this will be the main part of it.

Strangely Moyles also appeared on the live cooking show that Gordon Ramsay was doing on Friday. A show that did have me laughing but I am not always sure why :-) The mickey take that Moyles did of the hard hitting Ramsay was great. Odd that some could make a joke up about melting chocolate on a bain marie ---- Done.
Also the show seemed to have an awful lot of wobbly cameras for a live show, about 6-10 camera angles it seemed, this was a bit hectic if people were supoosed to be following along in the kitchen. The Web cam hookups to other people cooking were funny, especially the naturist which gave Ramsay a stack of swearing jokes to throw in. This show is a good idea to get people cooking. I cook all the time so I did not need convincing, equally I did not follow along.
Anyway, it was good to see/hear both ends of the spectrum on the same show in the same week and appreciate how to make live events work better.

No comments: