Saturday, September 22, 2007

Elvis lives?

I am a huge Elvis fan having been brought up hearing his songs. No-one is ever able to sound exactly like Elvis. I sort of understand the near religious passion that surrounds him. The BBC, yes the BBC!, has started a talent show to find the worlds greatest elvis trubute act. They scoured the planet for the top 30 from all over the world and then they have been having a sing off tonight.
I was expecting this to be terrible and wrong, but it was actually very good. There were 2 fantastic performers that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Still not Elvis but very good.
Next week is the final, the 5 that have been sorted out will do a much bigger show. Yes I know its saturday night, but I am getting on a bit now.
Anyway, Elvis has such a varied range and career, albeit parodied with the whole end of life thing, but it did strike me that it would be an awesome finale if the BBC had actually found Elvis alive and he turns up next week :-)
As it was the programme was really a tribute and has a great deal of respect shown. Elvis did after all on his hawaii return gig play to 1/3 of the worlds population. Anyone with that reach, and that great talent has earned respect.
Whats you favourite Elvis song?
I am torn by "in the ghetto" and "my way" though my way is a cover. For power and excitement the 56 sessions still rock though, pure rock and roll.


Having referenced My Way, it does say a few things that resonate with the last 18 months of metaverse evangelism (though I hope the end is not near :-) )

Regrets, Ive had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exception

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
Oh, and more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, Im sure you know
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

Quoting lyrics like a teenager..... :-)

No comments: