Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Oi! where's my video gone.

**update 9:20am 25/1/08
Just had it explained to me that IMG had been trawling for copyrighted material and accidently revoked my video. I have had a conversation indicating that we want people to be able to youtube and record their time at Wimbledon and that we they need to be careful in the balance of brand ownership and protection, against the blatant ripping of content. As we engage with a brand we take a little ownership of that brand. Its a hard balance for media rights companies, and there are subtleties and impact way past the obvious. Still its getting sorted and normal service will be resumed. I did also point out I dont want special treatment because I sit in the room next door, this care for public content needs to apply across the board.

*original post for the record
I was a little surprised just now to have got this DMCA removal of a video I just posted to youtube. As I work onsite, I have access to the wimbledon grounds, but where I shot the video is open to the public, and we had a photo session there today for 10 mins.
Federer
The new number 2 court is being built and some terracota statues are in place of some of the players. I videoed them and the court and cut a small video becuase it all looked like a Second Life build.

"This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by IMG Media claiming that this material is infringing:

Terracotta Warriors at Wimbledon 2008: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ROI-4VqDY
"

Someone being a little heavy handed. So I have filed a rebuke via email. However i suspect some conversations will be needed tommorrow with some "colleagues"

And its posted on eightbar

If it turns out I am wrong in some way then that puts pay to any form of behind the scenes commentary. Could be an honest mistake on their part. Either way grrrrrrr!